Welcome to show number 2017.26!
- Jon channels Ed McMahon
- Kelly will not let Jon speak about his trip to Temecula
- Kelly went to a bachelorette partay!
- Schoolhouse Brewery in Windsor is awesome
- 10:00 Kelly’s Corner
- A newly found Jackson Pollock may go for $15 million. Is that even a real number?
- Check out what “found” stuff sells for!
- Jon wants to know about the biggest barn ever found
- Kelly explains its not a barn that’s found – it is founds in the barn
- Jon expresses skepticism in the original moon landing (studio staged conspiracy supporter)
- Kelly says that there is money in sunken treasure – 1857 – the sunken SS Central America
- Jon worries about global economy with the sudden finding of 1billion of old gold!!!!!
- Kelly is still pissed off that Kate Winslet did not find room for Leonardo DiCaprio
- 22:45 – Jon talks about iTerm2
- Kelly agrees to watch Mr. Robot! winwinwin
- The Broken Arrow fiasco
- Terminals, shells, and consoles, oh my!
- Remember OS/2 WARP!!!!? Good times…ah, good times…
- Jon tries to remember shell tools like Pine, TIN, and Lynx
- Yakuake and Guake made Jon fall in love with drop-down terminals
- We laugh at the Canadian Navy and their OS/2 and Windows systems. Hahahaha.
- Jon talks abut his work flow – this allows a drop down terminal that doesn’t disrupt this
- Jon discovers he was a sailor, a tinkerer, and a soldier – one more thing to do
- likes drop down menu , drop down to another desk top, loves the tmux terminal – multiplexer allows you to split panes
- Jon is all about the copy and paste clipboard history. Kelly doesn’t care – convenience or security
- also likes that you can assign colours for different cursors – and you can locate your cursor – Kely hates when you loose your cursor
- 40:00 – Shout Outs and Bork Outs
- 51:40 – Cooperstown News
- Tax auction in Otsego County!
- Sorry – gotta get the phone…
- The county does well on its tax delinquent auction!
- Kelly schools Jon on what property tax losses look like
- Find us at:
The JaK Attack! 2017.26 – OGG
Podcast: Play in new window | Download (Duration: 59:10 — 38.0MB) | Embed
Welcome to show number 2017.25!
- Big show number 25!
- Kelly moved a tree today. Let that sink in.
- Jon is back from vacation.
- Cape Split in Blomidon Nova Scotia is a nice day hike.
- 07:00 – Shout Outs and Bork Outs
- Troy restaurant in Wolfville – awesome Mediterranean food and awesome patio!
- Kelly shout outs the improvements at Cape Split
- Jon lurves his Red Bubble swag!
- 13:45 – Kelly’s Corner
- 21:30 – Jon talks about DNA as a hacking delivery system
- Jon shows his total ignorance of what DNA is and how it works
- GATACA, FTW!
- Biohacker researchers have figured out how to deliver malware via DNA
- Kelly thinks Bill and Ted invented this technique
- Researchers have added pictures and running horsey gifs into DNA, too
- 39:00 – Cooperstown News
- Find us at:
The JaK Attack! 2017.25 – OGG
Featured image by Christian Faur
Podcast: Play in new window | Download (Duration: 45:12 — 29.1MB) | Embed
Welcome to show number 2017.24!
- In case you’re wondering – we’re not technically live. You’re welcome
- It’s hot and sticky in Nova Scotia for all the wrong reasons
- Why does Jon keep installing Google Chrome??
- Kelly is finally gonna get her Mac
- Jon can’t keep Intel 8088 and Motorola 68000 straight
- WTF is boot box??
- 13:55 – Kelly’s Corner
- 29:00 – Jon talks about the heady years of BBS’ing
- Telnet into Jon’s BBS The Heart of Gold (port 23, natch)
- Jon’s new l337 h@x0r name is now officially Wonko The Sane
- Geeks like “zone mail hour”. Cougars like “male zone hour”
- Only rich folk could run multi-line BBSes
- The Heart of Gold has a ton of Door game all thanks to BBSLink.net!
- Mystic BBS software for Linux
- SyncTerm for Linux – terminal client
- MultiMail for Linux – offline mail client
- 52:00 – Cooperstown News
- Find us at:
The JaK Attack! 2017.24 – OGG
Podcast: Play in new window | Download (Duration: 58:02 — 26.6MB) | Embed
Welcome to show number 2017.23!
- It’s the day after ‘Murica Day!
- Kelly likes the switching back and forth from acrylic to oil paints
- 06:50 – Jon’s rants
- Facebook and Google court rulings
- Why do these big companies bother to stand up to the courts?
- How low will law enforcement’s investigative skills fall?
- Kelly is pretty sure Judge Judy is New York State’s highest court
- Are Google and Facebook bystanders in these actions? Or do they have a real obligation to become involved above the arbitrary court rulings?
- How much value is actually realized by de-indexing something on Google?
- 23:00 – Kelly’s Corner
- 33:50 – Coopers VILLAGE news!
- No sidewalk sandwich boards.
- And on that note, where the heck is our sandwich board??
- 36:00 – Shout Outs and Bork Outs
- Superstore Garden Centre is rocking it!
The JaK Attack! 2017.23 – OGG
Podcast: Play in new window | Download (Duration: 39:34 — 18.1MB) | Embed
Welcome to show number 2017.22!
- Kelly Sucker Punches™Jon
- Jon’s blood is partying with a family somewhere. Truth.
- Social media can be a echo chamber
- 12:00 – Kelly’s Corner
- 22:00 – Jon’s Debacle
- How to hide your website hosting server’s IP address from the bad, bad people
- I had no idea I was Kelly’s IT guy.
- Some ways to find real hosting IPs
- Assume your hosting IP will be found. Because it will.
- Some ways to prevent direct IP attacks
- Firewall off your open services. Shared hosts won’t do this, but if you have your own VPS or dedicated server, look at Ultimate Firewall (UWF)
- htaccess ‘deny’ directives if you can’t use a firewall
- Be careful what headers you use in htaccess directives. Some can be spoofed.
- Kelly would rather call Ghostbusters for spoofing issues rather than a real network guy.
- 37:00 – Cooperstown News
- We burn listener feedback.
The JaK Attack! 2017.22 – OGG
Podcast: Play in new window | Download (Duration: 44:24 — 20.3MB) | Embed
Welcome to show number 2017.21!
- It’s the summer solstice!
- Kelly is GROOOOOT!
- Jon wants the time he wasted on The OA back
- Kelly will actually consider watching a second season of The OA
- Kelly can’t let Battle Star Galactica die
- Building a chalkboard is harder than you think but it’s easier than kicking Kelly out of the office
- 07:00 – Jon talks about exploit/vulnerability ratings
- Exploits are rated on two major things: How BAD is it and how EASY it it?
- “Easiness” has more agreement surrounding it than “Badness”
- Jon foolishly brings up Y2K right after the BSG episode
- The 2038 bug is coming fast!
- Is it Dee Doss? Or Dee Dee Oh Ess?
- 23:00 – Kelly’s Corner
- 33:00 – Cooperstown News
- 36:30 – Shout Outs and Bork Outs
The JaK Attack! 2017.21 – OGG
Podcast: Play in new window | Download (Duration: 41:56 — 19.2MB) | Embed
Welcome to show number 2017.20!
- It seems there are birds in our intro.
- Seasons are nice! Change is good. Let go, hot-dwellers, let it go!
- Windsor is a gateway valley.
- 05:23 – Kelly’s Corner
- 20:00 – Jon talks about his Yubikey!
- Yubikey is strong two-factor authentication (2FA)
- Jon uses his Yubikey to a) log in to his laptop and b) for SSH
- Kelly wants to zap drunk people
- /etc should not be pronounced etsy. Grr…
- Is the Yubikey ‘static password’ of any use? Seems too easy to spit it out in a chatroom accidentally
- The Yubikey docs are a little hard to follow sometimes
- 42:00 – Cooperstown news!
The JaK Attack! 2017.20 – OGG
Podcast: Play in new window | Download (Duration: 45:29 — 20.8MB) | Embed
Welcome to show number 2017.19!
- Nova Scotia election. w00t!
- Majority government back-to-back for the first time in 29 years
- Kelly is turning into a gurl-gurl
- Jon admits to never remembering which pill does what in the Matrix
- 06:40 – Jon’s talks Tor
- 19:50 – Kelly’s Corner
- 31:00 – Cooperstown News!
- Jon forgot to mention that the Alt 2600 Hacker Quarterly calendar shows that the biggest hack of 1984 (wha??) was TRW (Experian). Yes, a massive, per-internet hack.
The JaK Attack! 2017.19 – OGG
Podcast: Play in new window | Download (Duration: 37:30 — 17.2MB) | Embed
Welcome to show number 2017.18!
- We’re late this week. Shaddup.
- Jon apparently has never listened to the show intro before.
- We may have been drinking too many Mad Jack Sucker Punches.
- WARNING: this show is a Nova Scotia Kitchen Party
- Kelly may be leaving Jon for her new chair.
- Jon hates wicker. Wicker is ass.
- 08:00 – Kelly’s Corner
- Kelly may think that Biohacking groups fall under the Girl Guides of Canada.
- PBS biohacking...wha?
- Russian biohacker is a human compass. Not because he has any interest in magnets. Or north. Or navigation. Or compasses. It’s just cool, man.
- But it’s only cool for a day or so. Depending on how often he turns north.
- 23:00 – Jon walks us through the Wanna Cry ransomware attack
- Kelly discovers “sneakernet”!
- Spoiler: The Shadow Brokers stole The Equation Group (cough NSA cough) tools and someone turned one of them, ETERNALBLUE, into the Wanna Cry malware.
- Newfie weapons contain an arse, and all. (get it? arsenal?)
- Don’t. Click. Links. Seriously, just stop it, people.
- Jon forgot to read a paragraph of the The Shadow Broker’s recent release. But, you should…their writing is so..odd
- Spoiler: Someone (cough NSA cough) told Microsoft this really bad exploit had been stolen.
- So, only neglected Windows systems were victim of this.
- Between the small ransoms and weirdo kill switch, this attack is straight up weird.
- Bitcoin wallets: 1, 2, 3.
- 42:00 – Cooperstown News
The JaK Attack! 2017.18 – OGG
Podcast: Play in new window | Download (Duration: 46:18 — 21.2MB) | Embed
Welcome to show number 2017.17!
- Kelly Penguin Girl and Jon “One Punch” Watson
- Kelly is not-so-secretly in love with the new President of France
- Newfie TV at CJON-DT still broadcasts the Twilight Zone!
- 11:00 – Jon’s bit
- 30:00 – Kelly’s Corner
- Top reasons to drink wine!
- 40:00 – Shout out and Bork outs
- 43:30 – Cooperstown News
The JaK Attack! 2017.17 – OGG
Podcast: Play in new window | Download (Duration: 46:37 — 21.3MB) | Embed