Welcome to show number 2017.30!
- Jon does his best Ed McMahon impression
- If we win a giant cheque, why can’t we keep the giant cheque?
- Phoenix Hollow B&B is no more.
- Ikea has come to Nova Scotia!
- Phoenix Hollow domain used to be a motorcycle and tattoo shop site.
- 08:10 – Jon talks about DD-WRT routers. DD-WRT is open source firmware for many routers
- Jon flashed a TP-Link AC1900 Archer C9 router into a DD-WRT
- Kelly KEEPS saying the names she is not supposed to speak!
- The two features Jon likes the best about the DD-WRT firmware is the ability to control transmitting power, and the multiple VLAN possibilities
- Kelly loves the phrase “Untrusted Users”
- WRT….not WKRP!
- 23:30 – Kelly’s Corner
- Hallowe’en is almost here!
- Kelly tells us 13 things you did not know about Hallowe’en (and maybe did not want to know)
- Jon doesn’t understand how dressing up scary would scare dead things
- What kind of a cop would give a kid a $1,000 ticket for Trick or Treating?
- 32:49 – Shout Outs & Bork Outs
- 33:30 – Cooperstown News
The JaK Attack! 2017.29 – OGG
Podcast: Play in new window | Download (Duration: 39:27 — 18.6MB) | Embed
Welcome to show number 2017.28!
- Kelly gets waylaid into starting the show!
- Kelly finally agrees that perhaps the most important person at the wedding may not be the Maid of Honour
- 03:57 – Kelly’s Corner
- The iPhone 8 is here, but nobody knows why.
- The Roman iPhone X is coming!
- Probably almost nobody knows what a Bravo Zulu is.
- The trade off between battery life and big screens never ends
- Qi (pronounced Chee) wireless charging will have to hold us over until the AirPower thingy comes out in 2018
- the iPhone 8 and X will not be able to use GB LTE. Whaaaa?
- The incremental improvement of iPhones is pretty slooooow
- 27:00 – Jon talks about the problems with iTerm2
- Kelly thinks the app is named “I turned 2”. like. just. what?
- Turn off the “Perform DNS lookups to check if URLs are valid” setting in iTerm2. Or upgrade to 3.1.1
- By default, iTerm2 is sending a whole bunch of data off your computer in plain text to DNS resolvers
- Kelly tries to kill Jon with the microphone
- Jon hates and loves the TouchBar iTerm2 integration
- 40:00 – Cooperstown News
The JaK Attack! 2017.29 – OGG
Podcast: Play in new window | Download (Duration: 43:45 — 21.1MB) | Embed
Welcome to show number 2017.28!
- Doesn’t anyone remember the Internet Archive?
- The waaaaaayback machine!
- We seriously just kicked a tree off a roof. That’s how we roll. We’z lumberjacks, beyotches!
- Kelly got to hold a giant cheque today. Strike that off the ol bucket list. Yay, Rotary Toonie draw!
- She also bought shoes. SURPRISE!!!
- Jon’s 100 Men Who Give a Damn group also has a giant cheque!
- Humanity needs a quick 101 course of how to use the Facebook backgrounds
- 09:20 – Jon’s…um…corner?
- Bob Taylor can bake a bitching bumper for Jon!
- Google Chrome, Microsoft Internet Explorer/Edge, Apple Safari, and Mozilla Firefox comprise the bulk of browsers used in the world
- The first three are hell bent on harvesting your personal data for gain. They produce browsers are one of their harvesting tools
- Only Firefox just makes a browser for no other purpose than making a browser
- It’s slow. It’s clunky. It’s Firefox!
- Bing is like a venereal disease
- Google is an advertising company. Every product they have is another harvesting tool.
- Perfect marketing involves knowing who you are and what you want
- The search engines know what you want
- The social networks know who you are
- Now they’re all striving to collect enough personal data to get both together
- Has anyone ever heard of Google+? Srsly?
- Arguably, Firefox is more important now than ever before
- Jon is done scaring people. You’re on your own!!
- 27:35 – Kelly’s Corner
- 46:00 – Shout Outs & Bork Outs
- Kelly thinks The Big Dig construction crew did really well
- She also can’t stop thanking the Windsor Rotary for letting her hold a big cheque!
- Jon is angry at Foxy Proxy. WHY YOU BREAK MY THINGS???
- Judging from the reviews at the bottom of that page, everyone is mad
- 52:30 – Cooperstown News!
The JaK Attack! 2017.28 – OGG
Podcast: Play in new window | Download (Duration: 57:59 — 27.9MB) | Embed
Welcome to show number 2017.27!
- Where does Kimberly Lee get her news from if NOT The JaK Attack???
- Jon need a power cable for his new (old) Texas Instruments 994A (TI994A)
- Kelly has forgotten alllll about the era of the cable box
- Kelly has a September show at T.A.N. Coffee in Windsor
- 06:50 – Kelly’s Corner
- Virtual Blind Dating. W.T.F???
- What IS the plural of ostrich, anyhow?
- The general consensus is that the show is ‘absolutely terrible’
- 18:00 – Jon talks about credit card fraud
- The next iPhone won’t have a hardware home button. C’mon…
- Jon walks us through his article on the hows and whys of credit card fraud (Jon’s article at Comparitech with skimmer pictures)
- There are some common ways that credit cards are stolen
- The credit card “dumps” are verified and sold on “carding” sites like McDumpals (thanks KrebsOnSecurity)
- There’s not much you can do to prevent it, but keep an eye on your transactions to discover “checker” transactions
- “Checker” services “check” if a card is still good. Usually by putting a small charge on each card to ensure it has not been cancelled
- Maybe copyright infringement will take down the whole black market credit card empire
- Europe has better pro-active credit card fraud prevention than North America
- The big challenge is that all the vendors are not onboard so it really doesn’t matter how stringent the issuers’ demands are
- Kelly totally zones out…I guess this topic is over
- 50:00 – Cooperstown News
The JaK Attack! 2017.27 – OGG
Podcast: Play in new window | Download (Duration: 53:57 — 25.9MB) | Embed
Welcome to show number 2017.26!
- Jon channels Ed McMahon
- Kelly will not let Jon speak about his trip to Temecula
- Kelly went to a bachelorette partay!
- Schoolhouse Brewery in Windsor is awesome
- 10:00 Kelly’s Corner
- A newly found Jackson Pollock may go for $15 million. Is that even a real number?
- Check out what “found” stuff sells for!
- Jon wants to know about the biggest barn ever found
- Kelly explains its not a barn that’s found – it is founds in the barn
- Jon expresses skepticism in the original moon landing (studio staged conspiracy supporter)
- Kelly says that there is money in sunken treasure – 1857 – the sunken SS Central America
- Jon worries about global economy with the sudden finding of 1billion of old gold!!!!!
- Kelly is still pissed off that Kate Winslet did not find room for Leonardo DiCaprio
- 22:45 – Jon talks about iTerm2
- Kelly agrees to watch Mr. Robot! winwinwin
- The Broken Arrow fiasco
- Terminals, shells, and consoles, oh my!
- Remember OS/2 WARP!!!!? Good times…ah, good times…
- Jon tries to remember shell tools like Pine, TIN, and Lynx
- Yakuake and Guake made Jon fall in love with drop-down terminals
- We laugh at the Canadian Navy and their OS/2 and Windows systems. Hahahaha.
- Jon talks abut his work flow – this allows a drop down terminal that doesn’t disrupt this
- Jon discovers he was a sailor, a tinkerer, and a soldier – one more thing to do
- likes drop down menu , drop down to another desk top, loves the tmux terminal – multiplexer allows you to split panes
- Jon is all about the copy and paste clipboard history. Kelly doesn’t care – convenience or security
- also likes that you can assign colours for different cursors – and you can locate your cursor – Kely hates when you loose your cursor
- 40:00 – Shout Outs and Bork Outs
- 51:40 – Cooperstown News
- Tax auction in Otsego County!
- Sorry – gotta get the phone…
- The county does well on its tax delinquent auction!
- Kelly schools Jon on what property tax losses look like
- Find us at:
The JaK Attack! 2017.26 – OGG
Podcast: Play in new window | Download (Duration: 59:10 — 38.0MB) | Embed
Welcome to show number 2017.25!
- Big show number 25!
- Kelly moved a tree today. Let that sink in.
- Jon is back from vacation.
- Cape Split in Blomidon Nova Scotia is a nice day hike.
- 07:00 – Shout Outs and Bork Outs
- Troy restaurant in Wolfville – awesome Mediterranean food and awesome patio!
- Kelly shout outs the improvements at Cape Split
- Jon lurves his Red Bubble swag!
- 13:45 – Kelly’s Corner
- 21:30 – Jon talks about DNA as a hacking delivery system
- Jon shows his total ignorance of what DNA is and how it works
- GATACA, FTW!
- Biohacker researchers have figured out how to deliver malware via DNA
- Kelly thinks Bill and Ted invented this technique
- Researchers have added pictures and running horsey gifs into DNA, too
- 39:00 – Cooperstown News
- Find us at:
The JaK Attack! 2017.25 – OGG
Featured image by Christian Faur
Podcast: Play in new window | Download (Duration: 45:12 — 29.1MB) | Embed
Welcome to show number 2017.24!
- In case you’re wondering – we’re not technically live. You’re welcome
- It’s hot and sticky in Nova Scotia for all the wrong reasons
- Why does Jon keep installing Google Chrome??
- Kelly is finally gonna get her Mac
- Jon can’t keep Intel 8088 and Motorola 68000 straight
- WTF is boot box??
- 13:55 – Kelly’s Corner
- 29:00 – Jon talks about the heady years of BBS’ing
- Telnet into Jon’s BBS The Heart of Gold (port 23, natch)
- Jon’s new l337 h@x0r name is now officially Wonko The Sane
- Geeks like “zone mail hour”. Cougars like “male zone hour”
- Only rich folk could run multi-line BBSes
- The Heart of Gold has a ton of Door game all thanks to BBSLink.net!
- Mystic BBS software for Linux
- SyncTerm for Linux – terminal client
- MultiMail for Linux – offline mail client
- 52:00 – Cooperstown News
- Find us at:
The JaK Attack! 2017.24 – OGG
Podcast: Play in new window | Download (Duration: 58:02 — 26.6MB) | Embed
Welcome to show number 2017.23!
- It’s the day after ‘Murica Day!
- Kelly likes the switching back and forth from acrylic to oil paints
- 06:50 – Jon’s rants
- Facebook and Google court rulings
- Why do these big companies bother to stand up to the courts?
- How low will law enforcement’s investigative skills fall?
- Kelly is pretty sure Judge Judy is New York State’s highest court
- Are Google and Facebook bystanders in these actions? Or do they have a real obligation to become involved above the arbitrary court rulings?
- How much value is actually realized by de-indexing something on Google?
- 23:00 – Kelly’s Corner
- 33:50 – Coopers VILLAGE news!
- No sidewalk sandwich boards.
- And on that note, where the heck is our sandwich board??
- 36:00 – Shout Outs and Bork Outs
- Superstore Garden Centre is rocking it!
The JaK Attack! 2017.23 – OGG
Podcast: Play in new window | Download (Duration: 39:34 — 18.1MB) | Embed
Welcome to show number 2017.22!
- Kelly Sucker Punches™Jon
- Jon’s blood is partying with a family somewhere. Truth.
- Social media can be a echo chamber
- 12:00 – Kelly’s Corner
- 22:00 – Jon’s Debacle
- How to hide your website hosting server’s IP address from the bad, bad people
- I had no idea I was Kelly’s IT guy.
- Some ways to find real hosting IPs
- Assume your hosting IP will be found. Because it will.
- Some ways to prevent direct IP attacks
- Firewall off your open services. Shared hosts won’t do this, but if you have your own VPS or dedicated server, look at Ultimate Firewall (UWF)
- htaccess ‘deny’ directives if you can’t use a firewall
- Be careful what headers you use in htaccess directives. Some can be spoofed.
- Kelly would rather call Ghostbusters for spoofing issues rather than a real network guy.
- 37:00 – Cooperstown News
- We burn listener feedback.
The JaK Attack! 2017.22 – OGG
Podcast: Play in new window | Download (Duration: 44:24 — 20.3MB) | Embed
Welcome to show number 2017.21!
- It’s the summer solstice!
- Kelly is GROOOOOT!
- Jon wants the time he wasted on The OA back
- Kelly will actually consider watching a second season of The OA
- Kelly can’t let Battle Star Galactica die
- Building a chalkboard is harder than you think but it’s easier than kicking Kelly out of the office
- 07:00 – Jon talks about exploit/vulnerability ratings
- Exploits are rated on two major things: How BAD is it and how EASY it it?
- “Easiness” has more agreement surrounding it than “Badness”
- Jon foolishly brings up Y2K right after the BSG episode
- The 2038 bug is coming fast!
- Is it Dee Doss? Or Dee Dee Oh Ess?
- 23:00 – Kelly’s Corner
- 33:00 – Cooperstown News
- 36:30 – Shout Outs and Bork Outs
The JaK Attack! 2017.21 – OGG
Podcast: Play in new window | Download (Duration: 41:56 — 19.2MB) | Embed