Welcome to show number 2017.16!
- It’s May the 4th Eve!
- Jon does not understand the purpose of May 4th
- Hal-Con is in September!
- We went to the Saltscapes Expo and bought all the booze.
- Still Fired Moonshine – Night Own is Jon’s fave and Rootbeer is Kelly’s.
- We also discovered Crokinole!
- Jon is no longer smart enough to pass captchas
- 08:30 – Kelly’s Corner
- 19:15 – Jon’s tech stuff
- It’s the 39th anniversary of the first piece of spam ever sent
- DARPA made ARPANet…now Jon wants to make JONNet
- We’ve literally made no progress at all in 39 years
- Codes and Ciphers
- Pigpen Cipher – The Freemason’s Cipher
- Playfair Cipher – Cipher using an arbitrary key
- 33:50 – Cooperstown News
The JaK Attack! 2017.16 – OGG
Podcast: Play in new window | Download (Duration: 41:45 — 19.1MB) | Embed
Welcome to show number 2017.15, sprat-sprat-spratalats!
- 30th year of The Simpsons! They’ve been on TV longer than there’s been TV.
- Jon’s week was fraught with disjointedness.
- 06:55 – Kelly’s Corner
- Top 5 best movies of all time
- The Big Lebowski
- Blazing Saddles
- Monty Python and the Holy Grail
- Groundhog Day
- Top 3 worst movies of all time
- Tropic Thunder
- Napoleon Dynamite
- Coming to America
- 18:00 – Jon talks about punycode!
- punycode phishing attacks. Get yours on the internet now!
- ascii fits into unicode and punycode makes unicode fit into ascii
- this is not apple.com but it sure looks like it www.xn--80ak6aa92e.com
- Fix it:
- Chrome -> update to 59
- Firefox -> about:config -> toggle “network.IDN_show_punycode” to true
- Safari -> not vulnerable on macOS
- Internet Explorer -> dunno…don’t own one
- will this punycode phishing issue be the death of IDN?
- browser vendors can decide to not support it, but should they?
- 33:00 – Shout outs and Bork Outs
- 37:40 – Cooperstown News
The JaK Attack! 2017.15 – OGG
Podcast: Play in new window | Download (Duration: 41:48 — 19.1MB) | Embed
Welcome to show number 2017.14, sprat-o-lanterns!
- We took a week off. Hope y’all enjoyed it
- Jon rediscovered his love for Splunk.
- Kelly has been painting getting ready for her Art Out Loud show on May 7th
- We’ve finally figured out how to use Amazon Prime properly
- 10:30 – Jon’s Corner
- 21:25 – Kelly’s Corner
- Kelly talks about brain training apps on Medical News Today
- Re-training your brain is important after a stroke. Seriously.
- Kelly goes downtown on Amway.
- 42:00 – Listener Feedback
- Brad says ‘holla’ and the major missed prediction from Back to the Future.
- Jon is doing backups wrong.
- It turns out there are people who are more paranoid than Jon.
- Andy hates our audio. Sorry…We’re werkin’ on it!
- 51:00 – Cooperstown News
The JaK Attack! 2017.14 – OGG
Podcast: Play in new window | Download (Duration: 55:15 — 25.3MB) | Embed
Welcome to show number 2017.13, sprat-o-leenies!!
- Windsor Nova Scotia really is the home of Sam Slick!
- Jon babbles about his fish tank. Mystery Snails and Cobra Guppies.
- Kelly re-discovers James Blunt
- 09:08 – Kelly’s Corner
- Hoverboards are dumb.
- Androids meshing with humans on Live Science!
- Jon hijacks the show for a few minutes. Flashback!!!
- Kelly finds the Transparent Touchpad. Flexible, possibly wearable, touchpads.
- Perhaps the word Hydrogel word is being used too much.
- Jon forgets Kelly’s Corner.
- 20:00 – Jon babbles about privacy
- 41:00 – Shout outs and Bork Outs
- Someone gives away death-row dogs! We have no link. Deal.
- Heart Warm, not “Heart Worm”!
- 44:40 – Listener Feedback
The JaK Attack! 2017.13 – OGG
Podcast: Play in new window | Download (Duration: 50:13 — 23.0MB) | Embed
Welcome to show number 2017.12, sprats!!
- Kelly used to podcast using tin can and string. Srsly.
- Jon’s weekly time waster was tax document freakout.
- We now have a Facebook page!
- Fork me on Github
- 07:17 – Jon talks about Crashplan backup
- Free version allows backups to local folders.
- Jon is using Linux symlinks and Windows network drives to backup all the computers to a NAS.
- Can also back up to another network computer or a friend’s remote computer for free.
- Subscription required for either cloud backups or more frequent backups.
- Kelly was actually interested in Crashplan which totally threw Jon off.
- We are equal opportunity hackers in this house!
- We have way too many devices. This is just silly.
- STOP PUTTING THINGS ON THE CLOUD, PEOPLE!!!
- 20:00 – Kelly’s Corner
- Great Scott!!
- Back to the future predictions that came true.
- Jon is starting to think he has not actually seen Back to the Future II.
- Only Apple was able to finally sell us video phones.
- The “hoverboards” are total bullshit. We’re just calling it.
- Google Glass wins the dorkiest attempt at anything evah.
- 33:00 – Listener Feedback
- 36:00 – Shout out & Bork Outs
- Kelly hates ecommerce sites without real-time-inventory
- 43:00 – Cooperstown news!
- Cooperstown has less than half the population of Windsor. Who knew??
- If you have a podcast, send us your promo! We’ll play it. And you can download our promo here!
The JaK Attack! 2017.12 – OGG
Podcast: Play in new window | Download (Duration: 48:01 — 22.0MB) | Embed
Welcome to show number 2017.11
- Sorry for the week break. We had to recover from the Billy Talent concert in Halifax!!
- Kelly has had enough of fish talk, but can’t help mentioning that she read something about a guy who made a wheelchair for his fish. wut?
- Canada’s 150th is this year. July 1st. w00t! Kelly found that there’s even a Google Doodle contest for $10,000 smackers!
- Jon needs to start building a fictional child to submit his Google Doodle for him.
- Kelly saves Jon $4,000 by pointing out he doesn’t have to build a bubble.
- Jon is gonna start messing with the Damn Vulnerable Website Application.
- 11:45 – Kelly’s Corner
- 21:00 – Jon talks about ProtonMail VPN
- AKA ProtonVPN
- Native client only for Windows for now. Unix use OpenVPN package, macOS use Tunnelblick.
- Kelly is curious about when a life membership would terminate.
- There is more than two people in r/Protonmail and they want calendars, goddammit!
- ProtonVPN has a Tor OpenVPN configuration file.
- 32:40 – Cooperstown News
- Apparently, it’s all doom and gloom in Cooperstown. Get it together, Cooperstown!
- The only good thing happened five days ago.
- 35:00 – Shout outs and Bork outs
- Shout out to the Natural Environment Research Counsel in the UK for their sense of humour in naming a submersible Boaty McBoatface!
- Kelly believes in the overwhelmingly power of stupidity.
- Damn Vulnerable Web Application bugs are funny.
- Kelly sounds the idiot alert!!!
- If you have a podcast, send us your promo! We’ll play it. And you can download our promo here!
The JaK Attack! 2017.11 – OGG
Podcast: Play in new window | Download (Duration: 43:51 — 20.1MB) | Embed
Welcome to show number 2017.10!
- We made it to show number 10!
- We fondly reminisce about Wicked Lasers.
- No goddamn sharks, Kelly!
- Kelly is a Stacha’s Maid of Honour which is clearly more important than being the Bride.
- Fishology is a real thing, folks. Also, fish vets. Who knew?
- Sean Connery thinks that is so shellfish of you.
- Mach’s aquarium is pretty nice and he is suddenly married to Sasha.
- Jon wisely notes that all of our brain bits grow differently.
- The Amazon outage of 2017 was sucky.
- Jon brings up the spectre of Amazon Turk!
- 12:40 Jon bores us to death with pontification about Internet convergence
- YouTube TV is coming. MOAR TV!!!!!
- Telus tried ad-hoc $2/channel TV like 15 years ago.
- Curiosity Stream is a new entry into the market place. All sciencey and stuff.
- Spotify is going to offer lossless hifi packages.
- Jon does not like the Hi Fidelity Freaks and cannot remember the name Tidal.
- Using personal internet connections for everything is has tactical problems. The last mile is still too fragile.
- 26:45 Kelly’s Corner
- Kelly remind us of the guy who’s gonna get skinned from episode 6.
- And now she’s talking about dead people again. Gunther von Hagens skins people, injects them full of plastic, and takes them on the road. There. I said it.
- Kelly’s permanent internet record is a mess!
- 35:00 Shout outs and Bork Out
- Jon Borks Out Kelly’s Corner
- Bob Taylor made us new bumpers and a promo!
- 38:00 Cooperstown News
The JaK Attack! 2017.10 – OGG
Podcast: Play in new window | Download (Duration: 41:52 — 19.2MB) | Embed
Welcome to show number 2017.9!
- Kelly loses the stare-down.
- We don’t need no steenkin’ badges! (The Treasure of the Sierra Madre)
- 04:00 (ish): Panopticon and Panopticlick
- Choose between security and anonymity because it’s pretty hard to get both
- Web requests need to contain some information such as user agent, the requested resource, maybe the referer. But, do we really need to make things like system fonts, screen resolution and a list of plugins?
- The TAILS Live CD Tor browser gave up more information, but that actually helped with anonymity because it made my browser more normal.
- 18:55: Kelly’s Corner
- 32:00 Cooperstown Crier
- Polar jump, whaaaa?
- Raised $128,400 for charity
- 36:00 Shout Outs & Bork Outs
- Jon shares some of the people you can’t buy a Coke ™ for.
- You cannot buy a Coke for Zoolander. Deal with it.
The JaK Attack! 2017.9 – OGG
Podcast: Play in new window | Download (Duration: 41:28 — 19.0MB) | Embed
Welcome to show number 2017.8!
- Valentine’s Day was a brutal pile of snowy, snowy crapola
- Shubenacadie Sam is our Nova Scotia Groundhog!
- 04:12 – Kelly’s Corner
- The Kodi box!
- Kodi looks so familiar to Jon because it used to be XMBC
- Downloading is not illegal in Canada. Unless it’s impolite. Then we’ll stop because we don’t want to hurt anyone’s feelings.
- 16:04 – Jon talks about Qubes OS and Whonix. Full article here.
- 36:00 – Shout outs and Bork outs
- Kelly feels bad we don’t have shout outs
- Kelly borks out Facebook messenger
- Jon borks out the Proton Mail Android app’s read/unread indicators. Or, rather, the lack of read/unread indicators.
- 46:30 – What’s happening in Cooperstown?
- Cooperstown Chamber of Commerce is 100 years old this year!
The JaK Attack! 2017.8 – OGG
Podcast: Play in new window | Download (Duration: 49:05 — 22.5MB) | Embed
Welcome to show number 2017.7 (we got nothing)
- Our domain name sucks.
- Kelly’s Tomb Raider Penguin Girl is on her page now!
- Rogue One! Rogue One!
- We have advanced to the point where we no longer need humans to be humans
- Humans too close to being human drop us into the Uncanny Valley
- 13:45 – Jon talks about 2600 Hacker Quarterly
- Hacking is the new phreaking
- Cap’n Crunch whistle opens doors…
- Rescuing fake memory devices using h2testw.exe (not linking to anything because I don’t know what’s safe)
- 30:00 Kelly gives up her corner!
- Just to be clear, there’s no Kelly’s Corner. Sans corner. Corner-less
- 30:49 Shout outs and bork outs
- Slack is a good thing, but not a good chat thing
- Smarmy Microsoft letter
- Yay for threaded conversations! Thanks, from 1990!
- Boo for threaded conversations! The implementation sucks!
- Standard Shit Sandwich
- 34:00 Coopers Town Crier
- 44:00 We sing Happy Birthday to Linc!
- Other notes
The JaK Attack! 2017.7 – OGG
Podcast: Play in new window | Download (Duration: 46:09 — 21.1MB) | Embed