Welcome to show number 2017.19!
- Nova Scotia election. w00t!
- Majority government back-to-back for the first time in 29 years
- Kelly is turning into a gurl-gurl
- Jon admits to never remembering which pill does what in the Matrix
- 06:40 – Jon’s talks Tor
- 19:50 – Kelly’s Corner
- 31:00 – Cooperstown News!
- Jon forgot to mention that the Alt 2600 Hacker Quarterly calendar shows that the biggest hack of 1984 (wha??) was TRW (Experian). Yes, a massive, per-internet hack.
The JaK Attack! 2017.19 – OGG
Podcast: Play in new window | Download (Duration: 37:30 — 17.2MB) | Embed
Welcome to show number 2017.18!
- We’re late this week. Shaddup.
- Jon apparently has never listened to the show intro before.
- We may have been drinking too many Mad Jack Sucker Punches.
- WARNING: this show is a Nova Scotia Kitchen Party
- Kelly may be leaving Jon for her new chair.
- Jon hates wicker. Wicker is ass.
- 08:00 – Kelly’s Corner
- Kelly may think that Biohacking groups fall under the Girl Guides of Canada.
- PBS biohacking...wha?
- Russian biohacker is a human compass. Not because he has any interest in magnets. Or north. Or navigation. Or compasses. It’s just cool, man.
- But it’s only cool for a day or so. Depending on how often he turns north.
- 23:00 – Jon walks us through the Wanna Cry ransomware attack
- Kelly discovers “sneakernet”!
- Spoiler: The Shadow Brokers stole The Equation Group (cough NSA cough) tools and someone turned one of them, ETERNALBLUE, into the Wanna Cry malware.
- Newfie weapons contain an arse, and all. (get it? arsenal?)
- Don’t. Click. Links. Seriously, just stop it, people.
- Jon forgot to read a paragraph of the The Shadow Broker’s recent release. But, you should…their writing is so..odd
- Spoiler: Someone (cough NSA cough) told Microsoft this really bad exploit had been stolen.
- So, only neglected Windows systems were victim of this.
- Between the small ransoms and weirdo kill switch, this attack is straight up weird.
- Bitcoin wallets: 1, 2, 3.
- 42:00 – Cooperstown News
The JaK Attack! 2017.18 – OGG
Podcast: Play in new window | Download (Duration: 46:18 — 21.2MB) | Embed
Welcome to show number 2017.17!
- Kelly Penguin Girl and Jon “One Punch” Watson
- Kelly is not-so-secretly in love with the new President of France
- Newfie TV at CJON-DT still broadcasts the Twilight Zone!
- 11:00 – Jon’s bit
- 30:00 – Kelly’s Corner
- Top reasons to drink wine!
- 40:00 – Shout out and Bork outs
- 43:30 – Cooperstown News
The JaK Attack! 2017.17 – OGG
Podcast: Play in new window | Download (Duration: 46:37 — 21.3MB) | Embed
Welcome to show number 2017.16!
- It’s May the 4th Eve!
- Jon does not understand the purpose of May 4th
- Hal-Con is in September!
- We went to the Saltscapes Expo and bought all the booze.
- Still Fired Moonshine – Night Own is Jon’s fave and Rootbeer is Kelly’s.
- We also discovered Crokinole!
- Jon is no longer smart enough to pass captchas
- 08:30 – Kelly’s Corner
- 19:15 – Jon’s tech stuff
- It’s the 39th anniversary of the first piece of spam ever sent
- DARPA made ARPANet…now Jon wants to make JONNet
- We’ve literally made no progress at all in 39 years
- Codes and Ciphers
- Pigpen Cipher – The Freemason’s Cipher
- Playfair Cipher – Cipher using an arbitrary key
- 33:50 – Cooperstown News
The JaK Attack! 2017.16 – OGG
Podcast: Play in new window | Download (Duration: 41:45 — 19.1MB) | Embed
Welcome to show number 2017.15, sprat-sprat-spratalats!
- 30th year of The Simpsons! They’ve been on TV longer than there’s been TV.
- Jon’s week was fraught with disjointedness.
- 06:55 – Kelly’s Corner
- Top 5 best movies of all time
- The Big Lebowski
- Blazing Saddles
- Monty Python and the Holy Grail
- Groundhog Day
- Top 3 worst movies of all time
- Tropic Thunder
- Napoleon Dynamite
- Coming to America
- 18:00 – Jon talks about punycode!
- punycode phishing attacks. Get yours on the internet now!
- ascii fits into unicode and punycode makes unicode fit into ascii
- this is not apple.com but it sure looks like it www.xn--80ak6aa92e.com
- Fix it:
- Chrome -> update to 59
- Firefox -> about:config -> toggle “network.IDN_show_punycode” to true
- Safari -> not vulnerable on macOS
- Internet Explorer -> dunno…don’t own one
- will this punycode phishing issue be the death of IDN?
- browser vendors can decide to not support it, but should they?
- 33:00 – Shout outs and Bork Outs
- 37:40 – Cooperstown News
The JaK Attack! 2017.15 – OGG
Podcast: Play in new window | Download (Duration: 41:48 — 19.1MB) | Embed
Welcome to show number 2017.14, sprat-o-lanterns!
- We took a week off. Hope y’all enjoyed it
- Jon rediscovered his love for Splunk.
- Kelly has been painting getting ready for her Art Out Loud show on May 7th
- We’ve finally figured out how to use Amazon Prime properly
- 10:30 – Jon’s Corner
- 21:25 – Kelly’s Corner
- Kelly talks about brain training apps on Medical News Today
- Re-training your brain is important after a stroke. Seriously.
- Kelly goes downtown on Amway.
- 42:00 – Listener Feedback
- Brad says ‘holla’ and the major missed prediction from Back to the Future.
- Jon is doing backups wrong.
- It turns out there are people who are more paranoid than Jon.
- Andy hates our audio. Sorry…We’re werkin’ on it!
- 51:00 – Cooperstown News
The JaK Attack! 2017.14 – OGG
Podcast: Play in new window | Download (Duration: 55:15 — 25.3MB) | Embed
Welcome to show number 2017.13, sprat-o-leenies!!
- Windsor Nova Scotia really is the home of Sam Slick!
- Jon babbles about his fish tank. Mystery Snails and Cobra Guppies.
- Kelly re-discovers James Blunt
- 09:08 – Kelly’s Corner
- Hoverboards are dumb.
- Androids meshing with humans on Live Science!
- Jon hijacks the show for a few minutes. Flashback!!!
- Kelly finds the Transparent Touchpad. Flexible, possibly wearable, touchpads.
- Perhaps the word Hydrogel word is being used too much.
- Jon forgets Kelly’s Corner.
- 20:00 – Jon babbles about privacy
- 41:00 – Shout outs and Bork Outs
- Someone gives away death-row dogs! We have no link. Deal.
- Heart Warm, not “Heart Worm”!
- 44:40 – Listener Feedback
The JaK Attack! 2017.13 – OGG
Podcast: Play in new window | Download (Duration: 50:13 — 23.0MB) | Embed
Welcome to show number 2017.12, sprats!!
- Kelly used to podcast using tin can and string. Srsly.
- Jon’s weekly time waster was tax document freakout.
- We now have a Facebook page!
- Fork me on Github
- 07:17 – Jon talks about Crashplan backup
- Free version allows backups to local folders.
- Jon is using Linux symlinks and Windows network drives to backup all the computers to a NAS.
- Can also back up to another network computer or a friend’s remote computer for free.
- Subscription required for either cloud backups or more frequent backups.
- Kelly was actually interested in Crashplan which totally threw Jon off.
- We are equal opportunity hackers in this house!
- We have way too many devices. This is just silly.
- STOP PUTTING THINGS ON THE CLOUD, PEOPLE!!!
- 20:00 – Kelly’s Corner
- Great Scott!!
- Back to the future predictions that came true.
- Jon is starting to think he has not actually seen Back to the Future II.
- Only Apple was able to finally sell us video phones.
- The “hoverboards” are total bullshit. We’re just calling it.
- Google Glass wins the dorkiest attempt at anything evah.
- 33:00 – Listener Feedback
- 36:00 – Shout out & Bork Outs
- Kelly hates ecommerce sites without real-time-inventory
- 43:00 – Cooperstown news!
- Cooperstown has less than half the population of Windsor. Who knew??
- If you have a podcast, send us your promo! We’ll play it. And you can download our promo here!
The JaK Attack! 2017.12 – OGG
Podcast: Play in new window | Download (Duration: 48:01 — 22.0MB) | Embed
Welcome to show number 2017.11
- Sorry for the week break. We had to recover from the Billy Talent concert in Halifax!!
- Kelly has had enough of fish talk, but can’t help mentioning that she read something about a guy who made a wheelchair for his fish. wut?
- Canada’s 150th is this year. July 1st. w00t! Kelly found that there’s even a Google Doodle contest for $10,000 smackers!
- Jon needs to start building a fictional child to submit his Google Doodle for him.
- Kelly saves Jon $4,000 by pointing out he doesn’t have to build a bubble.
- Jon is gonna start messing with the Damn Vulnerable Website Application.
- 11:45 – Kelly’s Corner
- 21:00 – Jon talks about ProtonMail VPN
- AKA ProtonVPN
- Native client only for Windows for now. Unix use OpenVPN package, macOS use Tunnelblick.
- Kelly is curious about when a life membership would terminate.
- There is more than two people in r/Protonmail and they want calendars, goddammit!
- ProtonVPN has a Tor OpenVPN configuration file.
- 32:40 – Cooperstown News
- Apparently, it’s all doom and gloom in Cooperstown. Get it together, Cooperstown!
- The only good thing happened five days ago.
- 35:00 – Shout outs and Bork outs
- Shout out to the Natural Environment Research Counsel in the UK for their sense of humour in naming a submersible Boaty McBoatface!
- Kelly believes in the overwhelmingly power of stupidity.
- Damn Vulnerable Web Application bugs are funny.
- Kelly sounds the idiot alert!!!
- If you have a podcast, send us your promo! We’ll play it. And you can download our promo here!
The JaK Attack! 2017.11 – OGG
Podcast: Play in new window | Download (Duration: 43:51 — 20.1MB) | Embed
Welcome to show number 2017.10!
- We made it to show number 10!
- We fondly reminisce about Wicked Lasers.
- No goddamn sharks, Kelly!
- Kelly is a Stacha’s Maid of Honour which is clearly more important than being the Bride.
- Fishology is a real thing, folks. Also, fish vets. Who knew?
- Sean Connery thinks that is so shellfish of you.
- Mach’s aquarium is pretty nice and he is suddenly married to Sasha.
- Jon wisely notes that all of our brain bits grow differently.
- The Amazon outage of 2017 was sucky.
- Jon brings up the spectre of Amazon Turk!
- 12:40 Jon bores us to death with pontification about Internet convergence
- YouTube TV is coming. MOAR TV!!!!!
- Telus tried ad-hoc $2/channel TV like 15 years ago.
- Curiosity Stream is a new entry into the market place. All sciencey and stuff.
- Spotify is going to offer lossless hifi packages.
- Jon does not like the Hi Fidelity Freaks and cannot remember the name Tidal.
- Using personal internet connections for everything is has tactical problems. The last mile is still too fragile.
- 26:45 Kelly’s Corner
- Kelly remind us of the guy who’s gonna get skinned from episode 6.
- And now she’s talking about dead people again. Gunther von Hagens skins people, injects them full of plastic, and takes them on the road. There. I said it.
- Kelly’s permanent internet record is a mess!
- 35:00 Shout outs and Bork Out
- Jon Borks Out Kelly’s Corner
- Bob Taylor made us new bumpers and a promo!
- 38:00 Cooperstown News
The JaK Attack! 2017.10 – OGG
Podcast: Play in new window | Download (Duration: 41:52 — 19.2MB) | Embed