Welcome to show number 2017.21!
- It’s the summer solstice!
- Kelly is GROOOOOT!
- Jon wants the time he wasted on The OA back
- Kelly will actually consider watching a second season of The OA
- Kelly can’t let Battle Star Galactica die
- Building a chalkboard is harder than you think but it’s easier than kicking Kelly out of the office
- 07:00 – Jon talks about exploit/vulnerability ratings
- Exploits are rated on two major things: How BAD is it and how EASY it it?
- “Easiness” has more agreement surrounding it than “Badness”
- Jon foolishly brings up Y2K right after the BSG episode
- The 2038 bug is coming fast!
- Is it Dee Doss? Or Dee Dee Oh Ess?
- 23:00 – Kelly’s Corner
- 33:00 – Cooperstown News
- 36:30 – Shout Outs and Bork Outs
The JaK Attack! 2017.21 – OGG
Podcast: Play in new window | Download (Duration: 41:56 — 19.2MB) | Embed
Welcome to show number 2017.20!
- It seems there are birds in our intro.
- Seasons are nice! Change is good. Let go, hot-dwellers, let it go!
- Windsor is a gateway valley.
- 05:23 – Kelly’s Corner
- 20:00 – Jon talks about his Yubikey!
- Yubikey is strong two-factor authentication (2FA)
- Jon uses his Yubikey to a) log in to his laptop and b) for SSH
- Kelly wants to zap drunk people
- /etc should not be pronounced etsy. Grr…
- Is the Yubikey ‘static password’ of any use? Seems too easy to spit it out in a chatroom accidentally
- The Yubikey docs are a little hard to follow sometimes
- 42:00 – Cooperstown news!
The JaK Attack! 2017.20 – OGG
Podcast: Play in new window | Download (Duration: 45:29 — 20.8MB) | Embed
Welcome to show number 2017.19!
- Nova Scotia election. w00t!
- Majority government back-to-back for the first time in 29 years
- Kelly is turning into a gurl-gurl
- Jon admits to never remembering which pill does what in the Matrix
- 06:40 – Jon’s talks Tor
- 19:50 – Kelly’s Corner
- 31:00 – Cooperstown News!
- Jon forgot to mention that the Alt 2600 Hacker Quarterly calendar shows that the biggest hack of 1984 (wha??) was TRW (Experian). Yes, a massive, per-internet hack.
The JaK Attack! 2017.19 – OGG
Podcast: Play in new window | Download (Duration: 37:30 — 17.2MB) | Embed
Welcome to show number 2017.18!
- We’re late this week. Shaddup.
- Jon apparently has never listened to the show intro before.
- We may have been drinking too many Mad Jack Sucker Punches.
- WARNING: this show is a Nova Scotia Kitchen Party
- Kelly may be leaving Jon for her new chair.
- Jon hates wicker. Wicker is ass.
- 08:00 – Kelly’s Corner
- Kelly may think that Biohacking groups fall under the Girl Guides of Canada.
- PBS biohacking...wha?
- Russian biohacker is a human compass. Not because he has any interest in magnets. Or north. Or navigation. Or compasses. It’s just cool, man.
- But it’s only cool for a day or so. Depending on how often he turns north.
- 23:00 – Jon walks us through the Wanna Cry ransomware attack
- Kelly discovers “sneakernet”!
- Spoiler: The Shadow Brokers stole The Equation Group (cough NSA cough) tools and someone turned one of them, ETERNALBLUE, into the Wanna Cry malware.
- Newfie weapons contain an arse, and all. (get it? arsenal?)
- Don’t. Click. Links. Seriously, just stop it, people.
- Jon forgot to read a paragraph of the The Shadow Broker’s recent release. But, you should…their writing is so..odd
- Spoiler: Someone (cough NSA cough) told Microsoft this really bad exploit had been stolen.
- So, only neglected Windows systems were victim of this.
- Between the small ransoms and weirdo kill switch, this attack is straight up weird.
- Bitcoin wallets: 1, 2, 3.
- 42:00 – Cooperstown News
The JaK Attack! 2017.18 – OGG
Podcast: Play in new window | Download (Duration: 46:18 — 21.2MB) | Embed
Welcome to show number 2017.17!
- Kelly Penguin Girl and Jon “One Punch” Watson
- Kelly is not-so-secretly in love with the new President of France
- Newfie TV at CJON-DT still broadcasts the Twilight Zone!
- 11:00 – Jon’s bit
- 30:00 – Kelly’s Corner
- Top reasons to drink wine!
- 40:00 – Shout out and Bork outs
- 43:30 – Cooperstown News
The JaK Attack! 2017.17 – OGG
Podcast: Play in new window | Download (Duration: 46:37 — 21.3MB) | Embed
Welcome to show number 2017.16!
- It’s May the 4th Eve!
- Jon does not understand the purpose of May 4th
- Hal-Con is in September!
- We went to the Saltscapes Expo and bought all the booze.
- Still Fired Moonshine – Night Own is Jon’s fave and Rootbeer is Kelly’s.
- We also discovered Crokinole!
- Jon is no longer smart enough to pass captchas
- 08:30 – Kelly’s Corner
- 19:15 – Jon’s tech stuff
- It’s the 39th anniversary of the first piece of spam ever sent
- DARPA made ARPANet…now Jon wants to make JONNet
- We’ve literally made no progress at all in 39 years
- Codes and Ciphers
- Pigpen Cipher – The Freemason’s Cipher
- Playfair Cipher – Cipher using an arbitrary key
- 33:50 – Cooperstown News
The JaK Attack! 2017.16 – OGG
Podcast: Play in new window | Download (Duration: 41:45 — 19.1MB) | Embed
Welcome to show number 2017.15, sprat-sprat-spratalats!
- 30th year of The Simpsons! They’ve been on TV longer than there’s been TV.
- Jon’s week was fraught with disjointedness.
- 06:55 – Kelly’s Corner
- Top 5 best movies of all time
- The Big Lebowski
- Blazing Saddles
- Monty Python and the Holy Grail
- Groundhog Day
- Top 3 worst movies of all time
- Tropic Thunder
- Napoleon Dynamite
- Coming to America
- 18:00 – Jon talks about punycode!
- punycode phishing attacks. Get yours on the internet now!
- ascii fits into unicode and punycode makes unicode fit into ascii
- this is not apple.com but it sure looks like it www.xn--80ak6aa92e.com
- Fix it:
- Chrome -> update to 59
- Firefox -> about:config -> toggle “network.IDN_show_punycode” to true
- Safari -> not vulnerable on macOS
- Internet Explorer -> dunno…don’t own one
- will this punycode phishing issue be the death of IDN?
- browser vendors can decide to not support it, but should they?
- 33:00 – Shout outs and Bork Outs
- 37:40 – Cooperstown News
The JaK Attack! 2017.15 – OGG
Podcast: Play in new window | Download (Duration: 41:48 — 19.1MB) | Embed
Welcome to show number 2017.14, sprat-o-lanterns!
- We took a week off. Hope y’all enjoyed it
- Jon rediscovered his love for Splunk.
- Kelly has been painting getting ready for her Art Out Loud show on May 7th
- We’ve finally figured out how to use Amazon Prime properly
- 10:30 – Jon’s Corner
- 21:25 – Kelly’s Corner
- Kelly talks about brain training apps on Medical News Today
- Re-training your brain is important after a stroke. Seriously.
- Kelly goes downtown on Amway.
- 42:00 – Listener Feedback
- Brad says ‘holla’ and the major missed prediction from Back to the Future.
- Jon is doing backups wrong.
- It turns out there are people who are more paranoid than Jon.
- Andy hates our audio. Sorry…We’re werkin’ on it!
- 51:00 – Cooperstown News
The JaK Attack! 2017.14 – OGG
Podcast: Play in new window | Download (Duration: 55:15 — 25.3MB) | Embed
Welcome to show number 2017.13, sprat-o-leenies!!
- Windsor Nova Scotia really is the home of Sam Slick!
- Jon babbles about his fish tank. Mystery Snails and Cobra Guppies.
- Kelly re-discovers James Blunt
- 09:08 – Kelly’s Corner
- Hoverboards are dumb.
- Androids meshing with humans on Live Science!
- Jon hijacks the show for a few minutes. Flashback!!!
- Kelly finds the Transparent Touchpad. Flexible, possibly wearable, touchpads.
- Perhaps the word Hydrogel word is being used too much.
- Jon forgets Kelly’s Corner.
- 20:00 – Jon babbles about privacy
- 41:00 – Shout outs and Bork Outs
- Someone gives away death-row dogs! We have no link. Deal.
- Heart Warm, not “Heart Worm”!
- 44:40 – Listener Feedback
The JaK Attack! 2017.13 – OGG
Podcast: Play in new window | Download (Duration: 50:13 — 23.0MB) | Embed
Welcome to show number 2017.12, sprats!!
- Kelly used to podcast using tin can and string. Srsly.
- Jon’s weekly time waster was tax document freakout.
- We now have a Facebook page!
- Fork me on Github
- 07:17 – Jon talks about Crashplan backup
- Free version allows backups to local folders.
- Jon is using Linux symlinks and Windows network drives to backup all the computers to a NAS.
- Can also back up to another network computer or a friend’s remote computer for free.
- Subscription required for either cloud backups or more frequent backups.
- Kelly was actually interested in Crashplan which totally threw Jon off.
- We are equal opportunity hackers in this house!
- We have way too many devices. This is just silly.
- STOP PUTTING THINGS ON THE CLOUD, PEOPLE!!!
- 20:00 – Kelly’s Corner
- Great Scott!!
- Back to the future predictions that came true.
- Jon is starting to think he has not actually seen Back to the Future II.
- Only Apple was able to finally sell us video phones.
- The “hoverboards” are total bullshit. We’re just calling it.
- Google Glass wins the dorkiest attempt at anything evah.
- 33:00 – Listener Feedback
- 36:00 – Shout out & Bork Outs
- Kelly hates ecommerce sites without real-time-inventory
- 43:00 – Cooperstown news!
- Cooperstown has less than half the population of Windsor. Who knew??
- If you have a podcast, send us your promo! We’ll play it. And you can download our promo here!
The JaK Attack! 2017.12 – OGG
Podcast: Play in new window | Download (Duration: 48:01 — 22.0MB) | Embed